Cultural Context (History and Traditions)
The Learner should...
* demonstrate understanding of musical elements and processes by synthesizing and applying prior knowledge and skills
* demonstrate understanding of salient features of Southeast Asian music by correlating musical elements and processes to our native forms
The learner performs examples of Southeast Asian music, alone and with others, in appropriate tone, pitch, rhythm, expression and style.
- analyze the music of Southeast Asia
- perform using the music of Southeast Asia
- analyze examples of Southeast Asian music and describes how the musical elements are used
- relate Southeast Asian music to the lives of the people
- explain the distinguishing characteristics of representative Southeast Asian music in relation to history and culture of the area
- perform available instruments from Southeast Asia, alone and/or with others.
- improvise simple rhythm/harmonic accompaniments to selected Southeast Asian music
- explore ways of producing sounds on a variety of sources that would simulate instruments being studied
- evaluate the quality of your own and others' performance and improvisations of Southeast Asian music using developed criteria